I am applying for a 1-year English Teaching Assistantship in Ecuador through the Fulbright Student Program. AH! Real life! Fulbright grants are competitive, so I've been honing my essays since May. I am incredibly grateful for the help and support (often in the form of harsh criticism) I've received from professors/mentors/friends. However, can we all stop to consider the fine art of constructive criticism?
It is very late in the game, and I am finalizing my application. Comments such as "change your thesis" and "I don't understand why the commission should give YOU the grant" without providing specific places for improvement are less-than-helpful. Be specific, people. Vague and scathing is not helpful. (Cue the sappy music)... these are my dreams! I think I speak for many soon-to-be-graduates when I say that this year is terrifying. Get on board, or move out of my way!
4 comments:
Girl you got it. Constructive criticism is good but don't let one person's comments paralyze you. Remember to take them all with a grain of salt becuase when it comes down to it, you need to do what you think is best and stick with it. I admire your courage and will to get what you want. And even if the fullbright doesn't work out, there are plenty of other options out there to be able to workin Ecuador. I am getting certified to teach English as a foreign language this October and plan on getting a job with that certification. :) Buena suerte chica! Si se puede!
Thanks Amy--I definitely appreciate the vote of confidence.
Once you're certified, where do you want to teach? Good luck... we'll be in touch!
A long time ago someone very wise helped me push forward when I knew what the right thing to do was, but unexpected resistance suddenly popped up - she said, "If you know it's right in your gut, based on all your experience so far, go on and do it." She was right - it turned out to be exactly the right decision after all. I'll pass that advice on to you, and encourage you to remember Who truly holds your future in His hand... and that a legion of nay-sayers cannot subvert or derail His purpose for you! (Thanks Robin for that good advice over 20 years ago!)
It's ok to be terrified. 4th Year was pretty terrifying. But I have total confidence in you. You are one of the very few individuals that I know in my life that has the heart, the will-power, and the motivation to reach for your dreams and actually achieve them. I am praying for you and think about you often even though we don't get to talk as much as we'd like. Get pressing on Kim! I love you!
Post a Comment