Saturday, September 26, 2009

Senior Moments

I've been having a series of "senior moments." I mean this in both senses of the word "senior."

First, there is something quite distinct about being a 4th year student on a 4-year residential campus. Underclassmen look to me in awe and fear. Perhaps they too realize the future is charging, and my nearly-graduated presence reminds them of their own unpreparedness. Perhaps they just want to get on my good side so that I can buy them alcohol, or help them with their Spanish homework. Either way.

However, I also have "senior moments" where I legitimately feel like a senior citizen. I am old around here, and not cool. But here's how I know my maturity level is beginning to exceed college: I don't care. I mean, anyone who knows me knows I've never been particularly "raging," as it were. But this year I've given into most of my stay-in-Saturday and "Oh! I love NPR" urges. This is partially exhaustion and partially an acceptance of who I am (and am not).

1 comment:

Keith said...

Ah... senior moments I know them well. I pretty much feel old all the time. I can totally empahize. Kim, there is nothing wrong with living life on your terms, and not the terms of others.
Keith