Saturday, August 7, 2010

Spanglish (2)

Ecua-: [this one is important to my dialect of Spanglish. it merits its own post.]
1.) Prefix. Goes in front of a noun that, while it may exist in the USA, is wholly different in an Ecuadorian context. Example: “I went to the market with my Ecuasister. Later, we made an Ecuapizza with campo cheese.” --> Note that it would be inappropriate to say “sister” because she’s not your sister by blood, but your host or Ecuasister. Likewise, it would be inappropriate to say “pizza” because, in your mind, pizza made with campo cheese makes it different enough to be Ecuapizza.

2.) "Ecua" can also be a stand-alone word. For instance, you might say: "Those pants are SO Ecua" when a gringa friend buys a pair of pants that she could/would only purchase in Ecuador. Or I might say "It's August and I still don't know anything about my Fulbright year. Typical Ecua."

No comments: