Sunday, December 19, 2010

Changing and Not

 
Quito Barney, Dec. 2008

 




Cuenca Barney, Dec. 2010





Jamie, Sophie & I, Quito, Nov. 2008

Amanda, Raaj & I, Latacunga, Dec. 2010




















Despite what the above photos might indicate, my 2010 Ecualife is really nothing like its 2008 precursor. This time around I'm living on my own, driving my own classes and my own projects, traveling less--but meeting more people-- and starting to call a little city home. Plus a lot has happened in the past two years; even when I see similar things, I don't perceive them in quite the same way.

And yet.... I still think the plethora of bubble-blowing Barneys in this country is hilarious and absurd (key difference: 2010 Barney is totally grabbing my butt, hence the novel expression). I still have a community of peers to host English-language social hours every once in awhile (key difference: drinking white wine in '08 and red in '10). There's comfort in repetition. And probably more comfort when you're in a foreign place.

"Experience isn’t interesting until it begins to repeat itself, in fact, till it does that, it hardly is experience." (Elizabeth Bowen).

No comments: