Character (
noun): While they may be minor figures to outsiders viewing Kim's "real" life, characters are of central importance in her action-packed, half-imaginary inner narrative. They are judged according to one or two defining traits. Characters tend to be either beloved or despised (grey area is reserved for people with whom actual relationships are built). In this installment, I bring you a few of my most beloved characters:
1. Leonardo the Laundromat Owner (or Ecuadorian Mister Rogers): Leonardo is the soft-spoken grandfather who owns a laundromat 3 blocks from my apartment. He is also known as "Ecuadorian Mr. Rogers" for his kind demeanor and impressive assortment of wool knit cardigans. Each Monday afternoon, when I bring him a stack of clothes that smell like equator sweat, chlorine and second-hand smoke, he greets me with a smile and a warm "Hola Senorita Kimberly!" Then he gives me every cent of the money which fell out of my pockets in the dryer during the previous load. Growing up, the rule in my house was that if someone
else had to remove your clothes from the dryer, they were entitled to whatever bills were left behind. This provided motivation to do your own damn laundry. Also, to be clear: I HAVE figured out how to use
the concrete pit to wash clothes by hand. However, it turns out I'm too lazy to do so. I do not feel guilty since I am supporting Leonardo's business, which, by the way, is decorated like a preschool classroom. Sometimes I imagine
Henrietta Pussycat herself in the back washing my underwear.
 |
| I never claimed to be a photoshop expert. |
2. Short Shorts Dude at Bakery: A block from Leonardo's laundromat-of-love, I frequent a bakery and pay 50 cents for a delicious loaf of bread made approximately an hour before my arrival. If I am lucky, Short Shorts Dude will be there to serve me the bread. SSD's family appears to own the bakery, but SSD himself seems more committed to soccer than baked goods. He is constantly sporting very short Umbros, a grass-stained jersey, flip-flops, and a playful attitude-- not really something you see everyday in ultra-conservative, chilly Ambato. To be fair, he does have extremely impressive thighs that deserve to see the light of day. I often linger on the white versus wheat decision in the hopes that Short Shorts Dude, young and wedding-ring-less, will cease to be a character by making a crucial move into the "acquaintance zone." My carbohydrate intake has gone through the roof.
3. Children on the First Floor Who Are Terrified of Me:
 |
| Proof that I don't terrify all Ecuadorian children. |
There is a family that lives on the first floor of my house. The family includes multiple young children and young cousins-of-those-children, all of whom enjoy playing loud games in our front gated area between the hours of 2-4 pm. Since I like children as long as they are not my responsibility whatsoever, I wave and try to initiate friendly contact whenever I pass by. At the sight of me, they-- without fail-- scream and run inside the house. Once inside, they promtly peek their eyes through the curtains, watch me open/close the gate, and make sure I am at a safe distance before reemerging and resuming their game. Although I initially thought they were just nervous around strangers, I have lived here for three months and once-- only once-- gotten so far as a quiet "hola" out of any of them. I am a bit offended, but they remain beloved because I am hopeful we will be friends some day.
1 comment:
Hahahaha, i love this post and the description of your characters! SSD - hahaha.
Post a Comment