This is a drawing from Bill Watterson's 3160th and
final Calvin and Hobbes strip, published on December 31, 1995. In it, Calvin and Hobbes trek through newly-fallen snow and wonder aloud about the possibilities that await them: "Everything familiar has disappeared! The world looks brand new!"
When I was 9 years old, I went with my parents to a farm in rural Illinois and picked out a nervous-looking shetland sheepdog puppy to take home. My sisters and cousins met us at the car and we proceeded to fawn over him for 13 years. Although we named him Calvin-- after the adventure-seeking and spunky cartoon character-- it soon became clear that
our Calvin was nothing of the sort. He was timid and yippy, a methodical herder who was only happy when the whole family was indoors and safe from the suburban children and squirrels waiting outside. This week, Calvin died, on the eve of his 13th birthday.
 |
| 2007: Calvin in local paper under the caption "Hairy Potter" |
|
|
Our dogs become like family by providing a warm and steady presence in our lives. But dogs do something else as well: they watch us. In fact, house dogs are privy to some of the most private and raw moments of human existence. They watch us eat and get naked and get desperately ill. They're startled awake by our slamming doors, they see us in pajamas and prom dresses, they wander over from the corner as we stub our toe and collapse in tears about the incivility of the universe. We mourn our pets when they've reached the end, but I think we're also mourning the things they saw.
 |
| 1999: Calvin, Anna and Catie on Christmas morning. |
For his part, Calvin saw our family across 5 houses in 3 different states. He saw several tornadoes, a hurricane that sent a tree into our roof, a few flooded basements, and at least one "the-cat-is-on-fire" incident. In all likelihood, he saw my first kiss. He saw my little sister Anna grow three feet. He saw our family shrink, and like us, smelled the flowers that filled every corner of the house when we lost one of our own. He saw me leave the house at 4:30 am for swim practice and return with icicles dangling from my hair. He sat in my room as I packed quickly for college, and again as I unpacked slowly 4 years later.
 |
| 2007: Calvin and Hobbes in a snowstorm. |
I suppose Calvin could have been more adventurous, or you know, at least able to walk on a leash without wiggling out to run home and sit patiently on the doorstep. But I think I'd rather have a dog who provides a warm, fuzzy sense of home when I return from my own adventures/misadventures. In that respect, Calvin was absolutely perfect.
3 comments:
I loved this posting! Our beloved 13 year old dog, Bevis, just died a few weeks ago. Now I'm thinking about all the things Bevis saw.
My condolences on the loss of your friend Kim. I agree that our four legged friends see all the events of our lives during their lives. Interesting that I just had an interview with the University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center working with individuals who have experienced pet loss, and practitioners who work with euthanizing animals.
Dear Kim,
I'm so sorry for you, I know exactly how you feel about losing Calvin. You've put your finger on something that's been escaping me since yesterday; our dog Lizzy died yesterday morning. It's not just that she is gone, it's that the years have gone, along with every thing we did, everything she saw.
There is also the physical pain of missing her -- like a strip has been torn off my side; no one could comfort me like she could. In the end I had to be the one to take care of her, not only by letting her go but also by being calm and positive through the whole thing yesterday morning, so she could feel my peacefulness. But today, everything is so quiet here.
I bet you will be delighted to know that I could feel a bit of who Calvin was after reading this: his attentiveness and herding instinct. Sounds like he was happiest watching over you; what a lovely dog, and a lovely spirit, to have had during these years of your life particularly.
Sheila Averbuch -- Stopwatch Gardener
ps thanks to your dad, who saw my entry about Lizzy and told me about yours about Calvin.
Post a Comment