Sunday, June 19, 2011

Nice Things About My Dad

Dad, Jenny, and I, circa 1993
I remember the day the new boy who had moved in next door showed up at the bus stop. I thought he was pretty cute, but a little bit dorky and more than a little bit of what we would now call "hyperactive." As we progressed through that school year though, we got to know each other better. I would always get off the bus laughing, and would be disappointed if he didn't show up for school. Soon we were spending time together in the evenings and on weekends, going to each others house to hang out. Neither of us could drive, much less date, but he would catch while I practiced pitching, and we both had dogs we would play with. I don't think either of our parents gave much thought to "that boy next door" or "the girl who calls all the time." Then summer happened, and we both went our separate ways and didn't see each other much. He spent quite a bit of time traveling with his family and hanging out with old friends from before he moved, and I was busy with softball and my friends. 
Jim + Marcia, early 1980's

When school started again, however, I realized how much I had missed him.  I don't think he realized how much he had missed me because he was more interested in playing geeky role-playing games with his friends. Back then you actually had to be in the same room with someone to play games with them and those people were never girls.  Lucky for me (and our children, who wouldn't exist otherwise) it was not too difficult to convince him that spending his weekends playing Dungeons and Dragons was not the way he wanted to spend his high school years. (Marcia, wife)

When I was about 18, Jim was home alone (11?) and I came back to my parent's house to check on him. He was fine, playing at his friend David Jewels' house, so I left to go home. 5 minutes down the road, I heard there was a tornado coming right at us. I turned around and drove to his friend's house. He and David were standing in the yard watching a twister come right at them! I made them go to the basement. Then of course, there was the job he had in high school that he got fired from - worked at a doughnut shop. A very large lady came in and asked for 3 dozen doughnuts and he asked her, with a straight face: were they to go or would she eat them there? (Karen, sister)
Spirit Animal

One word: llamas. (Anna, daughter)

Before I met Mr. Lewis, I was really nervous/scared because of the boyfriend and father-of-girlfriend relationship stereotype-- with the dad being mean and overprotective.  Actually meeting him was completely the opposite. Mr. Lewis (and Mrs. Lewis) have been very welcoming to me, which means a lot. I enjoy reading his facebook statuses and his blog; he is one of the more funny people I know. I'm looking forward to being roommates with him at the hotel in Illinois. (Mitch D., daughter #3's boyfriend and future roommate)

Favorite Uncle Jim Memories (by the Getz family)
- Salute to Cheese dinner- we left Jim and Mike in charge of dinner and they decided to have a theme dinner consisting of mac and cheese (from a blue box), cottage cheese and cheetos.
- 'Aren't you glad you got to see me'- the Getz kids would spend hours trying to think of a way to be able to say this to Jim before he said it to them.
- Jim and Uncle Bruce teaming up as the nerd character in the New Years Eve mystery party game.
- Garden tours (Kate is especially fond of these). 
- Cleveland art museum scavenger hunt (the wedgies vs the nose pickers) - especially trying to find a picture that most looked like Jim.
 - Going to Hawken to see a student production of Jim's play, Twyla's Secret.
Sample entry into the "Most Looks like Uncle Jim" art hunt

Jim used to amuse my brother & I with his double-jointed fingers when we were little. We were fascinated. (Vicki, cousin) 

Definitely one of the best, and certainly the most entertaining teacher I've ever had!  I count myself incredibly lucky to have been at Hawken at the same time as Jim.  I walked away from your class with a better notion as to who I was, not only as a student, but as a person. I loved babysitting for you guys, I loved doing Oliver! with you, having the BEST advisory group with you, and I absolutely loved taking Cultural History as a sophomore with a bunch of juniors with you. Which leads me to my all-time favorite Jimbo memory! The time you flicked-off (quite emphatically, I might add) my dad as he walked past our classroom window, because you thought it was Dr. Barter  You went off, and nearly charged the window doing a whole-body thrust just to get that middle finger up there as high as you could get it. When you realized, a.) that it was not Dr. Barter, you collapsed a bit, then b.) when you realized it was my dad, you were both embarrassed and amused as hell, all at once. I of course thought it was hilarious, as did my parents, fortunately for you! Clearly you are a man who enjoys life and has touched many people with not only your skill as a teacher, but as a comedian extraordinaire. Happy Father's Day Jim, I hope I brought a smile to your face, and maybe even made you laugh. (Betsy Tietjen aka Little Bare, Hawken School)
I don't even know.

When I think of Jim I laugh. His wit, his humor, his blog, his way with words. He just makes me laugh! What a great quality to have, and when he and Marcia are together and she adds to his conversation, you just have to sit back and listen and take note. What a grand relationship they seem to have. (Karen R., Columbia SC)

So Jim (formerly known as The Man) and I haven't hiked Everest together (yet), but truth be told, if he offered, I would probably say yes. Being Kim's Dad and all, I got to know him in a way not many other students did and I really came to respect him, both as an educator and as a person. Jim is never afraid to speak his mind, even (or rather, particularly) when his opinion may not be the most popular one in the room. He stood by my side as a friend and ally when I came out at HRA and even though we didn't spend all that much time together, I always knew I could count on him to defend me when I needed it and call me on my shit when I was full of it. He may not be my dad, but he's someone I still look up to as a role model for someone I might hope to become one day and someone I am glad is out there shaping the world alongside me and my friends. All of this is true. And no, Kim - I'm not drunk. (Ben C., Hampton Roads Academy '06)
Dad outside, barefoot, during a hurricane. Not atypical.

Best squidward impression. (Chrissy Borne, Canterbury School '06)

If I could only choose one word to describe Jim Lewis, it would be trusting. He is trusting of others. Jim thinks that if you trust someone, they will rise to the occasion. I know that there are those that let him down and let themselves down, but others grew into that trust. Trusting is a risky business, but it can lead individuals to discover what they are capable of accomplishing. (R. Deeley, Hampton Roads Academy)
Dad being Mr. Lewis, High School administrator

Well where would I be without Mr. Lewis? I'm not certain, although I would probably not have graduated high school on time. Instead of expelling me my senior year for not showing up for an in school suspension, he helped me. I'll never forget what you've done for me, and I hope your father's day is full of joy and satisfaction knowing that sometimes parenting goes beyond one's own children. You parented me when my parents couldn't reach me, and you saved my ass quite frankly. I hope someday I can properly thank you for that, and by the way, I didn't even mention that you are one of the funniest instructors I've ever had! (Brandon Smits, Canterbury School '02)

Dad + Mom in different hemispheres
Things I love about Dad (by Jenny, daughter)
-his sense of humor... he makes me laugh more than anyone
- his optimism/ positivity
- he has an innate desire to make everyone happy
- hes a supportive/encouraging person in general... but particularly when it comes to his daughters
- he's very talented... but still possesses a humility that I admire


Happy Father's Day from everyone who appreciates you in your many different roles.
Love,
Kim

1 comment:

Amy Royse Brown said...

This is such a sweet post Kim. How thoughtful!