I remember when I first found out it was possible to be a "Dr." without cutting people open. I was in elementary school, and it was report card season.As kids we couldn't open the report card, only examine the envelope home to our parents. We would compare envelopes, trying to analyze each others family situation based upon the address label. Some kids had two envelopes, one for each divorced parent. Some kids had "Mr. and Mrs. _(last name)_" and some kids had "Dr. and Mrs. _(last name)_," which meant their dad was a doctor and they lived in a big house. It was an unrefined, vaguely cruel exercise in elementary school social comparison. My envelope was unique and therefore brag-worthy: "Dr. and Mr."
![]() |
| Mom's Graduation |
![]() |
| Not What Anthropology Is, Unfortunately |
I didn't know it would take me 13 applications over 2 years to receive one single acceptance to graduate school. Why don't more people say that? That tons of capable people in the world want to be (fully funded) anthropologists and getting into a program is this absurd gauntlet (for being fully funded)? I did interviews with faculty members who spent the whole hour trying to talk me out of their university, or the Ph.D. in general. I went to one interview weekend which was so ridiculous in its applicant one-up-manship, it felt like a jargon-filled reality television show. Feature characters included the former pro baseball player (anthropology of sports) and the already practicing M.D. (anthropology of medicine, apparently 6 years of postgraduate work was not enough).
So here it is: In September, I begin my Ph.D. in Cultural Anthropology at Brown University. It's a small cohort (8) and we all got the big prize (full funding). Providence looks like a nice place to spend several years, and the Anthro building is on the corner of Hope Street and Power Street (which I can only take as a positive sign). I'll be back in Ecuador during the summers for my research.
In case you read this post a year ago, I haven't forgotten about you, aimless 20-somethings. I'll finish with the same Samuel Beckett quote: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."



7 comments:
You're amazing, and the intersection of hope and power is sure to be a hot spot :) LOVE
Congratulations, Kim! That's fantastic to hear. Good luck with it all... With a little luck I'll be doing approximately the same thing soon enough.
It's great news, Kim. It's sometimes best to take a while to get places. You probably know that poem that starts
"As you set out for Ithaka
hope the voyage is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery."
(Cavafy)
That picture from your mother's graduation day is adorable. Glad to see all of the pieces are falling into place.
first, i love that you cited rilke in your other post. next, congrats on brown. i'll be joining you in the northeast with my stack of many rejection letters with the one that says "you're accepted" as the paper weight holding them down. you're positive attitude and willingness to accept failure to move forward will be your biggest reward. trust me! read carol dweck's "mindset." if fits your story well.
So happy for you Kim!!! I can't wait to hear all about it..Don't forget about us down here in Ecuador!!!!!
I sure do admire you and am so so happy for you - these last few years have been a crazy ride and you so deserve this next step! :)
Post a Comment