Thursday, June 17, 2010

Family Archives (3: Swimming)

How does one go about organizing 25+ years of accumulated pictures/papers/memory-laden objects from an entire family? Not sure yet. I'm still in the chaotic piles stage. BUT, if I were to sort thematically, at least 33% of everything my family owns would end up in a "SWIMMING" pile. Between me (13 years competing), sister C (7 years competing), and sister J (4 years competing), there are lots of swim meet heat sheets and highly-chlorinated-hair pictures. Above wins my "most badass" picture award. It was taken in 2005, back before I was old and tired.


This is heat sheet from the Barbara Kay Mini Meet in 1996. At 8 years old, I swam a 3:03.97 in the 200 IM (2 laps each stroke), a time I likely could NOT approach if you were to throw me in a pool today. This is where social networking makes my past really strange: Of the other swimmers in event 15 heat 5, I trained with/competed against 4 of them well into my late teens, despite moving around the country. Today I can tell you where they all are, whether they competed at a University level and where, and how they performed. Creepy?

No comments: