Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ecuador Prep

People are curious about my upcoming year as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Ecuador. The bad news is that I have little information to share. I still have no university placement, no start date (although they estimate sometime in September), no visa, and no plane tickets. But I can still prepare!

For instance, I'm reading the dictionary of Spanish slang like it is a novel. I'm already to Ch-, which, as anyone who has been to the Andean region knows, is the prefix for many of the best Spanish AND Quechua curse words.

Second-language slang is easy to pick up by mirroring the context and emotion of others. You don't need to know exact definitions to be able to insult someone or know when you're being insulted. However, without access to real-life Spanish (I'm not in Ecuador yet and my TV doesn't even get Univision!), my dictionary will have to do for now.

No comments: