Monday, July 19, 2010

Signs of Life


After a few weeks of panic & some hassling, I finally received signs of life from Ecuador's Fulbright Commission. I do not have a University teaching assignment yet. However, I do have a region they are planning to place me in: the Sierra (the Andes/Highlands)! That narrows the possibilities quite a bit.

La Sierra 101:

Ecuador has 3 regions-- the Sierra, the Coast, and the Amazon. The geographies, histories, local cultures and ethnicities could not be more different between the 3 regions. It is common for Ecuadorians to identify first with their region (ex: Sierra), and second with their locality (ex: the city of Cuenca). There is some political and social tension between regions, especially coastal (costeƱos) and highland (andinos) people. Quito is considered the hub of the Sierra, the "historic center," and Ecuador's political capital. Guayaquil is the hub of the coast, the "economic center," and Ecuador's most populous city.

The Sierra tends to be Ecuador's most Catholic and socially conservative region. It has a high indigenous population, primarily Quichua tribes in rural areas. This should make it possible to begin learning the Quichua language, which is my incredibly nerd-tastic goal that is almost impossible to accomplish here in the United States. It's also a goal that most Ecuadorians, even most Quichua people, do not understand-- since indigenous languages have historically been associated with poverty, "backwardness," and even "dirtiness." Racism persists. But I would like to learn it. More to come on how that develops.

Bottom Line: I have a tiny bit of information! Wheels are turning. Plan to come visit?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for you that you heard something! I hope you get the region you most want. Can't wait to read you when you go.

Take care of yourself!

Lynna (one of your mom's WSM friends)