November 12 was Ambato's independence day. Besides having the day off, I watched a parade (morning) and fireworks (night) from my porch. I've now attended 3 parades in 3 different cities in a span of 9 days, so I consider myself an expert. Ambato's independence parade was a bit weak... mostly high school marching bands and girls with batons. And it only lasted 2 hours-- SO short in Ecuadorian parade time.
Throughout the weekend, there were also free concerts in the open-air theater adjacent to my house. The first night was death metal. The second night was off-key evangelical praise music. I found both rather excruciating-- too much screaming and no dancing at either one. Living next-door to an outdoor theater also makes your stoop a public urinal. And in an extra-fun twist, the city shut off my water for 24 hours with no warning (Viva Ambato!). My neighbors, of course, saw the water thing coming, and laughed when I knocked on their door to ask why I couldn't shower.
No comments:
Post a Comment