Saturday, November 20, 2010

Swimming: the old, fat, south american chapters

12 year old Kim, who could kick 22 year old Kim's butt



Swimming and coaching are the most recent additions to my Ecualife. Colegio Bolivar is a large high school about a 5 minute walk from my house. They have a beautiful, recently-remodeled 6-lane pool. Marco (my brother/neighbor/best friend) took me to the pool last week. What do you know? There was a club team practicing, and Marco knew the coach. Although I actually intended to swim alone, it was decided that I would practice with the oldest group (ages 12-15) to get some exercise, as well as help coach.

The past few years, I have been fortunate to get my chlorine fix by working/traveling with Denison Swimming + Diving. But I haven't done a "practice" that someone else created or swam in a group setting in a long time. I'm now the out-of-shape old person sharing a lane with teenagers, with little knowledge of Spanish swimming vocabulary. I also lead drills, watch the kids' technique, and try to help. It's pretty much hilarious. Here are some actual excerpts from my first swim practice in 3 1/2 years:

Coach: The first set is butterfly. Kimberly, you're going first.
Me: Oh, hmmmm.... I can't do butterfly. Bad shoulders. It's a perk of retirement.
Coach: The first set is freestyle.
*my lane of 12 year olds cheers*
Coach: No, you all are still doing butterfly. Only Kimberly does freestyle.
*my lane of 12 year olds emit sounds of disapproval*
12 year old: I wish I was old.

Group of 12 year olds whispering in my lane: Do you think she speaks Spanish?
Me: Yes, I speak Spanish.
12 year old: Oh shit. I mean... oh crap. Wait... how did you learn Spanish?
Me: School. I studied hard.
12 year old: Can you help me with my English homework?
Me: I don't speak English. 
That pool I love in Ohio.

*after 6 sets*
Coach: Have you all done 8 sets?
12 year old: Yes, we just finished.
Coach: Kimberly, have you all done 8 sets?
*lane of 12 year olds looks hopefully at me*
Me: Totally.
Coach: OK you're done for the day then.
Me + Lane of 12 year olds: YAY!

3 comments:

E. Rose said...

gahahahahahahahhahaah you're the best. :)

and you're NOT old!!!

Jenny said...

I love this!

Lauren said...

this post made me laugh. so happy you found a pool, and some people to swim with :)