Holiday parties have taken on a new level of importance since I'm away from my family. I'll highlight two of the best. First, Chandra hosted a cocktail party for all the Fulbrighters in Ecuador last weekend. About half of us traveled to Latacunga for potentially the most American thing to ever hit highland Ecuador. AMAZING. Cultural exchange is great, but I think anyone who has lived abroad for an extended period of time would agree it's sometimes necessary to speak your first language, eat familiar food, and jam to your tunes.
Chandra's face says it all. At the end of the day, we're lucky people.
The spread: deviled eggs (...my suggestion, making the Lewis' proud), sweet potato fries, hummus, bread, guacamole, cookies, sangria.
From left: Shannon (studying Afro-Ecuadorian culture in Quito), Lindsay (English Teaching Assistant in Cuenca, her research is about special education), Maria (making a film about sex trafficking in Quito), and Chris (Maria's Husband, our favorite Fulbright "dependent" currently in Ecuador).
Dancing. Age range 2- 65.
Me and Raaj. Raaj studies parasites and other gross things in Quito and Esmeraldas, but he just returned from a slew of med school interviews in the good ol USA.
Marco is one of my best friends here. He is also my neighbor. Also my brother. I'm spending Christmas Day with his family.
Some amigos. That's happiness written on my face.
And finally, I swear I actually am a teaching assistant. This is one of my classes-- 5th semester English students (juniors)-- in the lobby of our building. You'll locate me in the back row next to Marco. They invited me to their Christmas party, which featured a slew of speeches, some tears, and beautiful expressions of gratitude and wisdom. I wish I could transplant Ecuadorians' overflowing, no-holds-barred affection and honesty into my home culture.Enjoy the Holidays, everyone.







1 comment:
smile
Post a Comment