Saturday, January 8, 2011

Electronic Holidays

Sophie
I officially survived my first Holiday season away from home. It appears Christmas does go on, even if I'm not partaking in the many where-did-this-even-come-from Lewis family rituals. It didn't feel the same. But I still had some pretty great bonding time with friends/stand-in family here in Ambato.

Me
I consider Skype a miracle for anyone living in-between or far-away.The highlight of Christmas Day was opening presents with my family via webcam. Calling home and seeing your dog's nose pushed up against the computer can seriously take the edge off homesickness. And what fun is it to give a present if you don't get to see the other person open it? Or at least have the opportunity to defend your choice (I'm telling you Dad, people are going to LOVE the llama design on that sweater)?

Jenny
I was in good company during my electronically-mediated holidays. About 10% of all Ecuadorians have migrated out of the country (that's almost 2 million people). Everyone here has someone close to them working abroad. In Ambato, I've met at least 3 of my friend's family members via webcam-- I've been Skyped into Miami, L.A., and New Jersey in the last week. At midnight on New Years Eve, Marco and I went into the streets to watch the fireworks and dolls burning (...another blog post). A friend held her laptop up to the chaos in the streets. On the screen was an Ecuadorian woman sitting in her Los Angeles apartment, waving and crying. It reminded me I wasn't the only one trying to make sense of the Holidays away from home.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I love you Kimmy. Also, the pic...eh... :) <3