Monday, September 8, 2008

My Weekend

Hola a mi familia extendida--

What a perfect weekend. Friday morning our class (of 29) went on an overnight- to a cloud forest in the jungle on the equator. Yeah. Not your ordinary class trip. The purpose of the trip was to bond, to rest, and to take in the natural beauty of Ecuador. We stayed in a lavish resort, WAY different than life in Quito. They reminded us not to get used to it. Within 1 mile of the resort, there was more biodiversity than the entire continent of North America. On our hour long hike, we passed 8 ecosystems.

We climbed down the mountain to swim in a river and under a waterfall. It was Eden. Not exaggerating. We snacked on guayavas we picked from a tree on the way down. Friday night, we had a dance party and sang kareoke. What is with kareoke here? ...Everyone is obsessed with it. Dear mom and dad, I am truly resenting you for never enrolling me in dance classes. I have zero rhythm, and dance = life in Latin America. I am seriously, fatally, white. It´s an assignment for our culture class to learn at least 2 dances before the end of the semester. Eek. I´m reading Michel Foucault in Spanish and I still consider dancing to be the hardest assignment.

Saturday morning, I FINALLY got to go for a run in the fresh air. A short run-- there´s not much oxygen here, but still. Exercise is such a luxury. In Quito, it´s too polluted and dangerous (especially for women) to run alone. I´m joining a gym next to my house soon so I don´t go insane. Later in the morning, our professor Emilia got together an impromptu yoga session on the Equator. I led the group in a series of asanas (3 years practicing and my first time teaching!). Yoga on the equator in the jungle. Life is so awesome.

Saturday night in Quito. A few of us were too tired for discotecas (dance clubs) so we just sat in a coffee shop-bar. Beer on tap and cappucinos in one place, it was like a dream. I have learned the taxi system because it´s too dangerous to take buses at night. All of my classmates here are amazing, super nice and intelligent. I haven´t stopped laughing since I got here. You HAVE to have a sense of humor and realize that sometimes, you just look stupid. You stick out. People have no idea what you´re trying to say. Asi es la vida. It´s fun!

Feel free to leave comments about what´s happening in the USA. I don´t really have access to lots of global news.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kim

You are BRILLIANT!!! Leaving the country just before an election so you don't need to listen to the endless insignificant non political drivel. I wish I'd thought of that.

(one of your moms net.friends)

Anonymous said...

Kim,

We are deeply sorry you have no rythym. (You come by it naturally.) But I might remind you that you were always too busy and into swimming to do much artistic or musical stuff. :) We parents always get blamed for everything! Your week sounds very exciting. How was church? I would love to hear about your experience with that!

Love, Dad

Lauren said...

"Yoga on the equator in the jungle" Wow! that sounds pretty awesome!

And don't worry, you're not the only gringo that can't dance. Most gringos have no clue what dance even is until they go to Latin America.

And I love how you throw in little spanish words here and there in your blog - i don't think you're doing it on purpose. or are you? hehe.

Thanks for the updates. You know I'm always checking ;)