Thursday, September 4, 2008

Wow

¡Im alive! And the punctuation is really weird on these computers. Also, I am legitimately forgetting how to write in English. So, go with me here.

Where do I even start? I am sitting in an internet cafe in Quito, 2 blocks from my house. It has been overwhelming so far. Overwhelmingly awesome, overwhelmingly terrifying. Spanish 24 7, I cant believe people actually understand me. I have sat in a classroom and done Spanish grammar exercises since 6th grade and I'm fairly certain this is the first time I have used the language. Its so awesome to understand people.

This city is completely crazy. The buses, oh my god the buses. They dont even stop for men, they have to literally jump on. Unless you scream,"Im a gringo!", thereby humiliating yourself, and then the bus might stop depending on the mood of the driver. They are SO crowded. My house is about a 10 minute bus ride from school.

Classes are going well, I got put in the most advanced spanish class (how or why, we can only speculate). We are going to the equator this weekend, to a hostel for some class bonding.

ONE more thing before I get kicked off. My neighbors are awesome. I live next door to 2 gay hairdressers that sing Christina Aguilera VERY loudly every night. I die. My first night I was scared and lying on my new bed, wondering what I got myself into. All of the sudden... "I AM BEAUTIFUL!! NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAYYY!" Thank you Jesus. I was laughing so hard. And since our houses are about 2 centimeters apart, I know a lot about them already.

Love you all and miss you so much already. I am learning a lot. Abrazos amigos.

2 comments:

Dory said...

Hi Kim... I wandered over from your mom's blog. :o)

Sounds like you're going to have quite the adventure ahead of you. Enjoy!

Lauren said...

Christina Aguilera! priceless! good to hear you're settling in over there Kim. Have fun at the equator!