I've returned safely from another traveling adventure! My luck definitely turned around. We arrived in Guayaquil at 2 am and managed to find our hostel-- 6 dollars a night for a private room and bath. Amazing deal. Guayaquil is SO different than Quito, it's the economic hub and very Westernized. I'm glad we decided to go, and even happier we had only a group of 4 (the number of people that can fit in 1 taxi).
The roads are wide and lined with palm trees. There are tall buildings (no such thing in Quito), and Nestle seems to own everything. We went to a huge park overlooking the bay which had to have been modeled off of Navy Pier. Saturday, they were having an art exhibition, so we wandered around watching local artists paint. We also went to the museum of anthropology and modern art. The good thing about the city is you don't need any plans or money-- you just wander around the city and will encounter something free and fun to do. Saturday night we went to a Beatles tribute concert... surprisingly good. Ecuadorians love the Beatles. Later we found a bar featuring a Cuban guitar player and hung around.
Last week I went to the hospital for my chronic stomach issues, and the doctor prescribed me two medicines (no idea what either of them are, or what they're supposed to do). But I feel much better! Life is easier when you're not keeling over in pain after every meal.
Sunday I spent a rare, glorious day alone in my house. My host mom and sister were returning from a northern province. I got to cook my own meals! I went to the park to run, ALONE! I did things on my own time! I like the Ecuadorian familial bonding, but let's be honest... I'm still American, and I'm still an individual. I like my freedom. Introverts don't exist in Ecuador. I have to take advantage of being alone because it's either unsafe, rude, or impossible to be alone 98% of awake-time.
No comments:
Post a Comment