Monday, October 27, 2008

Leaving Quito

It's my last day in Quito! The Muisne crew (5 of us) leave tomorrow at 6 am. I'm excited for my island adventure but also really sad to leave my friends. FYI, Muisne has 1 internet cafe with 2 computers from 1993 that run on dial-up. Also, I'm not sure I have cell phone service. So... it could be 5 weeks until I post again!

I spent the majority of my weekend at home, being lazy. Saturday I helped my Ecuamom make colada morada and guaguas de pan-- 2 traditional dishes for Day of the Dead. Guaguas de pan are basically peices of bread in the shape of babies. Colada morada is the most delicious drink ever, basically 40 different spices and fruits all combined into purple heaven. I went for a long walk around my neighborhood and spent time with my neice and nephew. David is 9, Daniella is 12. We jammed to the Jonas Brothers while decorating our guaguas. Disney Channel has officially taken over the world.

Sunday my nieghbor Fernando cut my hair. Later the WHOLE family came over for lunch. My Ecuamom spent 8 HOURS making lunch, she literally did not leave the kitchen. And then she didn't even eat it with us because she was too busy serving everyone. Yay for the feminist movement.

DISCLAIMER: this is the scariest thing that has happened to me in Ecuador. If you don't want to worry, don't read it:

Saturday night me, Ryan and Emily took a taxi home from the discoteca. We had agreed on a price before getting in the car (like always). Anyway, he told us about 5 minutes into the ride that we were going to need to pay more than we agreed to. Um, NO. We argued with him for awhile. He dropped Emily and Ryan off, then started driving the wrong direction from my house. I told him to turn the car around... he didn't. I assured him he was going the wrong direction, he continued driving. I started screaming and told him, Senor, I am calling the police in 2 seconds. Then I told him what he actually wanted to hear: "I will pay whatever you want". He finally turned around and took me home. Basically I was held hostage for 2 minutes. It was really scary. I gave him a few choice expletives and threw a rock at his car as he drove off.

So that's my scary story. Anyway, I love you all! Hope I can keep in touch in Muisne.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Man oh man. that is pretty scary. i would have thrown a rock at his head, not his car. haha. JUST kidding. I'm excited you are about to venture to a new place for a new experience. But I am sad that you will have little internet access to post as often - now what am I suppose to do in my free time? Ok, ok, back to facebook. hehe. Love you Kim!