Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am back in Quito for Thanksgiving. This is just a quick note to wish you all well. There is a huge feast today at 2 for all the students in my program and their host families. I am bringing the mashed potatoes, it was nice to spend all morning peeling potatoes just like I would have been in the States. I also got to talk to my family (cheaply!). I am sad I have to miss a slew of Lewis Family traditions like watching the dog show, eating chex mix and cheese ball, and putting up the Christmas tree. Alert to my family: DON´T PUT MY BABY ORNAMENT ON! Save it for me and I´ll put it on when I get back.

Thoughts needed for my host family here in Quito. My host mom´s ex-husband and the father of her 3 children is in the hospital and in really bad shape. He was drugged and assaulted 2 days ago while stopped at a stoplight. The robbers took his car, phone, wallet, everything, and beat him until they thought he was dead and left him in a ditch. He still hasn´t regained consciousness, though they are pretty sure he will live. My host mom is manning the phone at home (which is ringing off the hook) and my host siblings are at the hospital.
I will be in Quito all weekend enjoying the company of my friends in the short time we have left. I will definitely post pictures soon, because I actually have internet.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Happy Thanksgiving Kim!
We miss you here in the states!
I went to the Koinonia service First Things First last night and thought to myself, wait, we can't start yet b/c Kim isn't here....and then I realized you're still in Ecuador. Bummer! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Chex Mix? Hey, I heard your mom invented that recipe!