Sick round 2 update (round 3?): I have some parasite issues. Oh, the things I have contracted down here. I am going to the lab to pick up my test results after lunch. At a certain point here in Ecuador, you lose all sense of privacy or shame. So walking to the hospital with my poo test in my back pocket really didnt bother me. This is one nasty bug. It only hurts at night, when I am in a resting position. And when I say hurts, I mean HURTS... like I honestly feel like something is gnawing at my intestines. Yum.
Things have been getting much better here in Muisne. I live right next to the evangelical church (the only non-catholic church) and met some really nice people there. Saturday night we went salsa dancing at Quilombo, an all salsa danceclub. EVERYONE goes dancing here. If you are between the ages of 18-100, you are at Quilombo on Saturday night. Unfortunately, I am still not good at salsa. But it is still fun to try, and people forgive me because I am a gringa, therefore permitted to make an ass of myself. Saturday and Sunday we spent all day laying on the beach. There was actually sun (rare in wintertime).
I am learning to navigate my teacher-role pretty well. My students are everywhere, this is a small island, with a big rumor mill. So I try to be careful with who I surround myself with and my actions all the time. I am a friend for my students, but I am also an example. For instance, drinking alcohol here seems to rarely be done in moderation. I should be careful of having a beer in my hand, since perception is everything. My personal life is very much on display for the community and the entire school. The most common questions I am asked are: Are you married? Do you have children? Why do women get married so late in the USA? Is love not important until later? Etc. My personal life is completely thrilling to my students.
My new host mom, Anita, is really awesome. We have really awesome conversations about politics, religion, etc. Very similar personalities.
1 comment:
Oooh! I'm intrigued by your parasite (my 9 year-old daughter would be too :-)). Hope the meds help soon. You are doing great work down there and are an inspiration.
Post a Comment