Tuesday, November 4, 2008

One Week In

Happy election day! All the Americans on the island are getting together to watch CNN en espanol later. It isnt Anderson Cooper, sigh, but we will make do. We have gone to great lengths to locate the one TV on the island that actually has CNN-- its in a chicken restaurant. Mmm. I already voted. Hope you did too.

Wow, life here is hard. I cant tell if I am culture shocking, or just dont have the right attitude. I think I am trying pretty hard. The other four students here seem to be adjusting a lot easier. Then again, they dont have an insane host family (oh, the stories i cant even fit into this entry) and arent teaching sex ed to rambuncious teenagers. So maybe they have it a little easier. But I press on.

Home update... I am in the process of locating a new family. That is all I want to say. Maybe I can slip out in the dead of night or something.

Work life... I am working on my authoritativeness. And getting suggestions on how to handle the cat calls, the questions about my personal life, the "what is your number?"s. I really cant describe the classrooom atmosphere here... it is completely insane, out of control, no one has respect, everyone cheats on the exams and there is not much the teacher can do. I reviewed some students sex ed exams, and was vaguely appalled. One of the questions was "What is your opinion about abortion?" There is a correct answer to that question, it is not really opinion. In fact, I am convinced the sex ed classes spend at least 30% of the time talking about what abortion is, why it is wrong, etc. The students know more about abortion than they do about AIDS. After class, the teacher told me that it was her first year teaching, and she just discovered that she hated it. When I asked her if she was going to keep teaching, she said, "yes, of course".

POSITIVE TIME! I spent the whole weekend at the beach! And despite the fact I have never been so sunburnt in my life (SPF 45 fails on the equator), it was worth it. It is so beautiful. We made a bonfire last night. Sunday I found the evangelical church and belted at least two of the songs in English (the pastor said it was ok... I asked). Also, it is mango season, and they are delicious. And a student yesterday said she was really happy I was helping with her class. It is the little things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim,

Teacher advice: make the students partners, if you can find a way. Give them some control over the environment and activities, provided they can agree with you on some basic rules, which usually involve respecting you and the others in the classroom. Find a positive reward system, incentive, a game, etc, that can eliminate the them/us attitide. Also, another teacher trick--silence works better than volume, always. If they are not cooperating, just stop, and be silent and patient, calm and in control. Then when you have their attention, speak softly and firmly. Good luck! We're having Jenny's Birthday dinner tonight--Thai food. Congrats on Obama winning the electio--you were in on the ground floor.

Dad