Wednesday, October 6, 2010

chayana/ llegar/ to arrive

<-- (current view)
I arrived in Ecuador two nights ago, after calm flights, calm immigration/customs proceedings, and a calm car trip to a lovely hostel in "la mariscal" or "new town" Quito. It was the smoothest trip ever. After so many months of wrath, the Get-to-Ecuador deities must have finally been smiling on me.

I'm enjoying the initial euphoria of arrival. Or maybe it's just the high altitude and subsequent daze. In any case, I feel unexpectedly comfortable in Quito. This is the best part of my transient life. I attach to places, learn how to adjust quickly, and have many "homes." It is good to return and realize that, at some point, Quito became one of those homes. It has taken about a day of exploring the north-central part of the city to almost entirely re-orient myself to its layout, major streets and landmarks, and public metro lines. Of course, I'm in for a shock when I move to Ambato next week, since that is completely unfamiliar.

My Spanish is awkward. Verbalizing words I know (once knew?) has been difficult so far, and my accent seems to have fizzled in my post-graduate stupor. Hopefully I will relocate my rhythm and voice soon. Another Fulbrighter staying at my hostel just returned from teaching in China for a year, so I have it way less rough than her. Also on the topic of language, I am trying to form the habit of learning a few Quichua words every day.  Chayana (Quichua) = llegar (Spanish)  = to arrive ;  Cuyana = amar = to love ; Pictuna = aprender = to learn.

No comments: