My first week in Ambato is going well. I'm getting situated, meeting LOTS of people, and promptly forgetting their names. I've also started teaching at the University. Comision Fulbright establishes guidelines for my work as an English Teaching Assistant (ETA). It occurs to me it may be beneficial to explain what those are:
My purpose at Universidad Tecnica de Ambato-- la U-- is to provide a unique linguistic and cultural perspective, offer students/professors the opportunity to practice with a native speaker, and generally enrich the department. I'm not responsible for teaching entire courses, or giving grades. (Great rejoicing). This is a 1/2 teaching, 1/2 research grant. So I work part time-- 20 hours each week--Monday through Wednesdays. Teaching is the most public thing I do, and I'm thankful for the instant community, some pretty awesome students, research leads, and friends, since I'm just a hopeless gringuita fending for myself. With the rest of my time, I'm developing my own research and-- at least for the next few months-- writing grad school applications.
I’m coordinating a new program called “English Club,” which is basically an ungraded, co-curricular conversation hour for undergraduate students who want extra oral practice. Each course will have an optional hour with Profesora Kimberly every week. I'll prepare for these, but I want sessions to be pretty informal. I'm also holding lots of open office hours, where students and professors can come in to get extra help/practice. Everyone has been SUPER chatty so far. Not only do people want to practice English, but find out if I’m married (#1 question), where I’m from, how old I am, all about my family …. etc. etc. I think my office hours will be busy. Probably karma for hogging my own Professors’ office hours in college.
Also, I get to take 2 classes at the university for free. I’m trying to enroll in a Quichua language class. I just have to catch one of the higher-ups in administration to get permission.

1 comment:
Still waiting to hear about your apartment! Your teaching schedule sounds ideal.
Post a Comment