Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fourth post of the week?!

Man, I am on a small island on the equator and have still managed to post more this week than any other. That probably means I'm not adjusting or something, but whatever.

Yesterday I had a talk with my host mom. I made it very clear that:
1. I am mad.
2. I know you (or one of the 10 other people living here) are rummaging through my things and taking things without permission.
3. I am not a cash machine.
4. I will move out if this does not change right now.

I never got in touch with our housing director, which is fine because I can see how things go over the weekend and switch on Monday if I need to. I feel like I (now) have control over the situation, basically because of the money. Unfortunately, that is what most things come down to here. They are in a pretty dire financial situation. I am this family's income, it's so strange and wrong. Things have been better since that conversation. Ill keep you updated!

Besides that... we went dancing last night and it was really fun. I am eating tons of shrimp and platanos verdes (green plantains). I made friends with the Peace Corps volunteer here and she is showing me the ropes. My students always say hi to me on the street which makes me feel good, like maybe I belong a little. I am getting there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good for you Kim. I am so proud of you and what you are doing. Love, Grandma