Monday, November 17, 2008

I am off the island

I left the island for the first time in 3 weeks today! Right now I am in Atacambes, an hour and a half away. I needed to get money, and there are no banks closer than here. Yes, ladies and gents. I honestly just traveled an hour and a half to get money from an ATM. Feels good to encounter civilization again.

Latest health saga (abridged version)... I began my day with a hydrocortizone shot. I have a puffy, gross, rapidly spreading red rash on my left side. And my face is swollen. It is a contact allergy, so I guess I will be changing my sheets tonight. I swear I know the doctors as well as Janelle or Claire, who are doing their internships there. The nurses see me come into the ER and are like... really? again?

This weekend was amazingly fun. My friend Ryan came to visit from Cotacachi, about 10 hours away. 20 hours (total) by bus over the mountains..that is loyalty. We went to Mapichu, another closeby island, on Saturday by boat! There was a surfing competition, and the weather was sublime. Pure sunshine, blue water. It is winter, so sun is a rarity (sunburns not so rare). At night we relaxed on the beach and chatted about how weird it is going to be going back to the USA. Sunday morning me and Janelle trucked accross the island with mugs full of coffee for us and Ryan. Half was spilled by the time we got to his hotel, but it was worth it. Sunday morning coffee with your friends is such a luxury. We are planning a road trip this summer with the money we thought we would use in Ecuador, but did not because everything is dirt cheap.

Research. My student interviews are going well but I need more teachers and parents to talk to me. I hope my students are learning in my class. I know I cant change the machista culture where boyfriends have "the right" to touch their girlfriends however they want (<-- quote from 12 year old girl), the reported age of sexual initiation is 13 (average of over 30 responses), and I have students that think you get HIV from mosquitos... but I do hope someone gets something positive from it. The bell rings after class last week and I just feel like yelling, "OK, Lets not get pregnant this week!" to my students as they walked out.

Shout out to Keith (my friend Janelles husband). She told me you were reading!! We shall meet one day. Want to come on the road trip?

3 comments:

Keith said...

Hey thanks for the shout out! I do read and like your blog! I would read your blog and I knew that Janelle was harm free because if anything happened to one of the students you would have written about it. It was a real blessing with the limited communication I was having with Janelle. I feel bad for all the physical setbacks you've been having. I am curious to know what ever happened to the Tarantula?
Keith

GSN said...

Hello, this is Janelle's sister Andra. Thank you so much for being a good friend to my sister. I feel better knowing she has someone to talk to and share island life with.
Wow, I just read your entire blogg over my lunch break. Dear Lord, I will be praying for you! The things you have been through are just awful. I too, spent a summer teaching sex ed in schools (of course here in the US, in my first language) it is certainly a tough crowd. Blessings upon you for taking such great strides to bring the truth to these kids! Remember, you efforts are being appreciated by someone everyday. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Andra

Anonymous said...

Hello Kim!
My name is Dunia Edwards. I met your parents in Albany, Georgia, and they thought I'd like to read your blog.
I laughed out loud at your TARANTULA episode! I have been on Mission trips and have had a very similar experience!! (I am from Colombia but have lived in the States most of my life!). I can also relate to the health issues; when I traveled last year I was given a mile long list of precautions.
Blessings to you! You are providing a GREAT-and much needed- service to that area!!
Ojala que te vaya bien y que Dios te bendiga!! :):)
Dunia Edwards:)