Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Wildlife

There is a giant tarantula living in my bathroom. It is the size of my hand. It started last weekend when I went to wash my face, and almost touched it as I reached for the faucet. I did not scream, I just walked away, slowly, slowly, turned off the light, and tried to forget about it. Well, actually I came back and took a video of it with my camera. Pictures to come, I promise. I tucked the mosquito net extra tight.

This morning, I washed my hands and went to dry them on the hand towel next to the sink. I saw one hairy leg. I looked around at the other side of the towel and there it was, hiding. Waiting to attack. This is war. I am contemplating the best way to kill it, as this is not a squishable-sized spider. I think machete is my best option.

I also had a run-in with a bull today. There are cows grazing, randomly and seemingly without owners, all over the island. I walked out of the school today, there was no one around. All of the sudden, a young bull (not fully mature) came running around the corner. It was seriously booking it right towards me! It probably got within 10 feet of me and veered to the right. Just kept running. It was one of those experiences where you just look around, realize that absolutely no one saw, and just laugh because it was so ridiculous and only you know about it.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

ok, i normally don't mind spiders, but i don't know what i would do if i actually found a tarantula in my bathroom. that is creepy and hairy. i am so surprised you kept your cool and didn't freak. impressive ;)

Anonymous said...

At least a tarantula is so big you can probably keep track of it. And maybe it is eating icky bugs? That said, I'd be sure to keep my glasses on 24/7.