Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Apartment: Chapter 2


This is my big, empty living room. I'm thinking about investing in a small TV for that little table. Other options include buying some incense and starting a community yoga studio, getting giant canvasses and making it my painting space (wish i knew how to paint),  or acquiring some roller skates.

This is the view from my terrace. The largest white building on the far left is Ambato's main cathedral, which was rebuilt in 1949 after an earthquake flattened the city. People are still talking about the Great Earthquake. It's part legend ("the earth split open and swallowed people"), part remembrance, and part warning ("we're past due for another one..."). It's also a way to scare the crap out of foreigners who have never lived on a fault line.


This is where I work. Through that little window is the kitchen. When I lock myself out of the kitchen (the complexity of my locks deserves its own blog entry), I can shimmy through that window to get into it.

This is where I will wash my clothes, when I figure out how people typically use concrete pits to wash clothes.
 This is evidence of a few things. 1. I do actually have some stuff in my apartment. 2. There are people nice enough in Ambato to lend me a bed, and a mattress. 2. That free blanket they gave to coaches/athletes at National Swimming Championships in 2009 was the best gift the NCAA ever gave.

3 comments:

E. Rose said...

well honey it looks like a great start!

i'd vote roller skates, but that's just me.

and as for the laundry, analu and i washed her clothes in one of those....it involves a lot of rubbing the clothes together and washing each piece one at a time ;)

i love you and am so proud of you. my ecuafam called me on my birthday and my spanish was HORRENDOUS. yours is probably going swimmingly by now....

keep it up love!!!

<3 em

Sergey said...

I think it's a retreat ... nice view .... easy to work with ...

Lauren said...

Picture #1: i vote roller skating rink

Picture #4: i would love to hear the solution and details once you figure out how to wash in the concrete pit, just for curiosity sake